What is Patterns - A dialogue on Patterns based on The Book of TameFlow

What is Patterns in the TameFlow approach?

Reading the book titled The Book of TameFlow what is your thinking related to Patterns?

What can Patterns be utilized for - and how?

1 Like

A pattern is a great example of not doing “local optimization”. Whatever problem you are facing, however “unique” you feel your situation is, other people have had this problem before. A pattern is a way of finding out what other people did, and tapping the insights they gained in facing the problem themselves. There is a huge divide between tackling every problem yourself, from scratch, and spending the time and effort to do the research to see what other people have already learned.

2 Likes

So does this mean that if for instance I am facing problem(s) while trying to write a blog post on a subject that interests me - that I can consider this a problem - and then there is a solution to that problem to be found elsewhere (maybe someone else has faced a similar problem - and found a solution for that problem - which I might learn from?

What about my “unique context”? Is that what your refer to as “local” - and which I might optimize for?

You might, to borrow an idea from Tom Gilb, google your difficulty. You will find many suggestions, some of which may be helpful…but perhaps there will be to many suggestions…a huge mass of them…so you will give up and just go back to tackling it yourself. But suppose there is some community you trust, and that community has made a record of the pattern “What to do if you’re stuck on writing a blog post”, then you might say…maybe that article will help me, and go read it. And probably it will help get you unstuck and give you some good ideas. So one problem is having a community you trust to give you good advice, the other problem is being the kind of person who would even consider taking advice in the first place. :slight_smile:

One #pattern mentioned in the new book by @tendon reiterates the story of Herbie originally from the book “The Goal” by Eliyahu Moshe Goldratt and mentions two noble patterns: Unity of Purpose and Community of Trust. There is also a mention of Inspired Leadership.

In extension there is a proto-pattern named “Leave No One Behind”.

I am very curious what you think of this particular pattern. What does it mean to you? How would this thinking influence our behavior?

1 Like