The promise of zero resistance to change

In page 65 of the draft for your new book - The Workflow - you are showing how claiming the low hanging fruits of wait time vs touch time can radically improve throughput - for free. I’ve tried this, and it does give you extra capacity, it does give you a lot of gains, but it does not come for free in terms of “zero resistance to change”.

The biggest challenge to change comes on the mentality of “having people not busy enough”. I think this has a lot to do with the Psychological Flow, as well as with the alignment of everyone around Herbie.

How does one tackle situations whereby resistance to such a mentality, especially if it is not concerned with the constraint?

Yes it has to do with mindsets, and expected norms of behaviour. So one has to work a lot with people to make them fully internalize the whole metaphor of Herbie. One has to work with the accountants to make them appreciate Throughput Accounting, and that the company will actually lose money if it pursues resource efficiencies rather than flow efficiencies. All this requires, as always, that we first know where Herbie is. That is why metrics are so important. With the right metrics, the whole organization will know when they can afford to (or actually should) relax; and when to step in and work; and especially how to help Herbie if possible. The lesson of the boy scout metaphor is all there is.

1 Like

Hi,

Resistance to reducing WIP Limits have both rational reasons and emotional reasons … You need to find the antidote through dialogue !

1. When I am stuck, I need to do something else : Both Rational and Emotional
  2. The team is afraid to say no : Emotional
  3. The team looks less productive : Emotional
  4. Lack of management support : Rational
  5. There will be a critical request that won’t be met : Rational
  6. We will produce less deliverables : Rational
  7. Requests will not be delivered on time : Emotional
  8. There will be idle workers : Both Rational/Emotional
  9. Everything must start now if we want to finish on time : Emotional
  10. Reduced WIP Limits prevents from addressing emergencies : Rational
  11. I depend on other teams. If I don’t start these tasks now, they won’t deliver on time : Emotional
  12. Optimal WIP is hard to calculate : Rational
  13. If I am idle I will end up doing tasks that are not mine : Emotional
  14. Fear of being measured and judged : Emotional
  15. I will no longer be the STAR of finished tickets : Emotional

Ciao