Tameflow in Healthcare

Has anyone got experience in using tameflow in a healthcare setting, as currently trying to apply to quality improvement projects in a secondary care mental health trust setting. But very much a beginner and carefully studying the latest tameflow book/

First of all Welcome to the TameFlow community!

TameFlow excels at managing knowledge-work; where most of the work is immaterial and invisible. So if that is the kind of work you are dealing with in the health care sector, then it is very much applicable.

If, on the other hand, you are more concerned about the physical management of some health care institution/organization, then the Theory of Constraints has proven methods.

You might want to check the book Pride and Joy by Alex Knight for how TOC might apply in this case.

Otherwise, tell us more what kind of challenge you are facing.

Thanks Steve, yes I have read pride and joy and found tameflow through exploring TOC, so I think its two points, managing our multiple projects - i.e we get involved in lots of small projects (thus your reducing multitasking really spoke loudly to me) , I guess as an improvement team we are paid to be thinking - thinking about how to help teams improve but then yes there is the direct application with the teams where I think you are right TOC is better (I am very much trying to get to full grips with all the logical thinking steps). So maybe more managing how we work.

Thank you for responding by the way.

1 Like

hmm wrong language - TOC is not better, maybe its applicable, but I am still very curious on how tameflow could be applied to managing ward environments which suffer from ‘multitasking’…

I’m not familiar with ward environments; but I can imagine how there are several concurrent flows going on. Thus measuring Flow Time and applying the ideas of the Jungle-Jeep-Journey metaphor should be applicable.

Let us know how you are proceeding! :slight_smile:

Thank you - let me try these…could be transformational!

1 Like