TameFlow and the Manifesto for Agile Software Development – The TameFlow Approach

In the Campfire Talks with Herbie No 26 Clarke Ching told how he works with Agile and the Theory of Constraint. An interesting parallel that I wanted to draw is to better outline how the TameFlow Approach relates to Agile.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://tameflow.com/blog/2020-10-17/tameflow-and-the-agile-manifesto/
1 Like

Some years ago , with the help of @adailretamal, we developed the responsible agile work manifesto.

2 Likes

I like the copy edited manifesto much more than the original one!

Should maybe be further integrated with @sandeep_mvp’s work too!

@tendon, this looks like a very healthy and friendly throw down* to the Agile Industrial Complex. I say healthy, because it would be useful if traditional Agile advocates reason through your thinking. Hopefully we can circulate the blog and provoke some healthy reaction!

–* Collins Dictionary: “If you throw down a challenge to someone, you do something new or unexpected in a bold or forceful manner that will probably cause them to reply or react equally strongly.”

1 Like

In an abbreviated way, sometimes it seems that Agile was a way to offload a lot of the decision making about what to do during a project to the team members, which made sense. But the teams still operated inside of a Cost Accounting framework, so the organization is not as “agile” as it wishes its teams to be. TameFlow asks that the whole organization become more disciplined in a unity of purpose…whether the organization needs to demonstrate “agility” then depends on the situation it finds itself in, just like a well-trained athlete is “agile” when agility is called for. So I think the issue in organizations moving past agile probably has more to do with the power/control structure of the organization that with a judgement of how it could improve team performance. (I have limited experience with agile teams, but a lot of experience working for Cost Accounting based organizations).

1 Like

Hi Kenneth,

Indeed! In general, I don’t care so much about being/doing “agile” or “Agile” or about “agility.” What matters is if the organization achieves its purpose. Note also that this doesn’t mean to attend to making the organization “fit for purpose” as others are saying. An organization needs to achieve its purpose. It could be “fit” and still achieve nothing!

And, with reference to Cost Accounting vs Throughput Accounting, TA is much a more powerful factor in achieving purpose.