Have you ever experienced this state?
In the book “Flow: The Psychology of Happiness” Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi describes eight major components that his research has shown can lead to flow - which can also be called enjoyment or happiness.
These components are:
- Doing a task that we have a chance to complete.
- That we are able to concentrate on what we are doing.
- The task we are undertaking has clear goals.
- The task provides immediate feedback.
- Acting with a deep and effortless involvement moving awareness away from worries and frustrations.
- A sense of control while undertaking the task.
- Concern for ourselves disappears.
- The duration or rather our sense of time is altered.
I am curious whether these components can be put deliberately in place to experience happiness on a daily basis - and almost always - whether during work or time spent while not working.
What do you think?
Do you have any flow experiences to share?