eXtreme Programming and the TameFlow Approach – The TameFlow Approach

In the Campfire Talks with Herbie No 23 J.B. Rainserber asked about how eXtreme Programing (XP) relates to the TameFlow Aproach; and in particular which aspects of the TameFlow Approach one might consider as a natural evolution of XPand which aspects come from the “outside.” In this post we will formulate a reply.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://tameflow.com/blog/2020-08-18/extreme-programming-and-tameflow/
2 Likes

Thank you for this discussion. I have been a long time fan of eXtreme Programming and find it fascinating that though it and Tameflow have emerged largely independently, both have much similarity and overlap. To me, this indicates that both are addressing underlying truths.

2 Likes

@WayneMack while the two are independent, I was an early adopter of XP, and was teaching XP as early as 1999… when it was still considered as something esoteric!

So XP has definitively shaped my experience; and probably that’s why today I could write this post.

I’ve always taken XP “for granted” in any place I’ve promoted the TameFlow Approach and there was software development involved, I’ve always presented XP as the best way to deal with the coding.

I’ll go as far as saying that XP is THE software development approach that is part and parcel of TameFlow. Yet - like anything else in TameFlow - it is not mandatory. It needs to fit the cultural backdrop of the company. But if you haven’t deliberately adopted any other engineering practices, then XP is what you should aim for.

2 Likes

There was a link an article to JBrain’s inspiration based on ToC … I can’t locate it…

Can someone post it …

I assume you mean this one:

“How TDD Works (and more!)”

3 Likes

I read Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit on the flight home from either Agile 2005 or Agile 2006. This was the first book in which I saw the explicit link between Theory of Constraints and agile software development. I remember one paragraph on ToC in XP Explained 2nd edition and I had read Toyota Production System, but on that flight the pieces clicked together in my mind. Since then I have seen ToC as a centerpiece of the theory that underpins Extreme Programming in particular and lightweight approaches to software development in general. It doesn’t surprise me one bit to learn that TameFlow leans in that direction.

1 Like

Yes … Thanks from Montréal …

1 Like

Indeed!

That post of yours, with all those cute loops, represent the essence of what we’re doing in the TameFlow Approach: we tighten all feedback loops, and make them spin faster - but in the management/governance/decision-making dimension, rather than in the coding dimension.