Difference between Tameflow books of 2014 and 2019

Hi Steve, after reading many Goldratt and TOC-related books, I decided to give TameFlow a shot, first reading your initial 2014 book. I was impressed and learned a lot in that book. I was also very surprised, when I reached the Wolfram Müller chapters near the end, how different and not integrated his approaches were with yours. If you’d like to comment on that, I’d love to read about it (or find a good link).

My question now is: what’s the same, and what’s new since 2014?

I also wonder if you present somewhere how you use Kanbanize for Tameflow?

I’m currently between two jobs and depending on the role I plan to play for my next job, I might continue this incredible adventure. I’ve had great success at my previous job using CCPM in our agile context.

Thanks a lot for any answer.

2 Likes

I am just starting the 2014 book, thus interested in "how different and not integrated his [Müller] approaches were … ". I’ll see for myself when I get there, but any comment would be good to hear.

1 Like

Hi @danieljomphe and welcome here.

The difference between my and Wolfram’s parts is very simple. I was focusing on Kanban + TOC, while Wolfram was focusing on TOC + Scrum. Once we discovered that there was a lot of overlap between our ideas, we decided to put them together in the “Hyper” book.

Now regarding the difference between the 2014 and the new “Tame Your Workflow” book, the latter continues where the former finishes.

In the new book you will find:

• A lot more detail on how to structure Kanban boards so that they support the concepts of TameFlow.

• The MOVE supersedes the MMR and is easier to make sense of in a broader business context.

• Management signals are more refined, and now consider even the ageing signals from single work items (as taught by Dan Vacanti).

• We go in great depths in describing how to find the constraint (i.e. Step 1 of the 5FS) in knowledge work, and where to look for it (in the Work Flow, in the Work Process, and in the Work Execution) - and this is probably the most important contribution to the field. No other process that I know of comes close (except CCPM, which though is not entirely applicable to the kind of Knowledge discovery processes you handle with Kanban).

• How to handle PEST (multi-Project, Events, Stakeholders and Teams) is explained.

• The Bubble Fever Chart is described in detail as a visual tool for operational governance in such PEST environments

• The final “getting started” chapter hints at how we can use the TameFlow Patterns in an actionable way. It is the first time this is published… The TameFlow Patterns will have a book of their own… sometime… mayeb! :slight_smile:

Regarding Kanbanize: due to the limitations of the tool, it can only be used as a conventional “Kanban” tool. If you want to do buffer management, etc. you will need to resort to data export and spreadsheets!

Please keep us posted on how you find use of these ideas!

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @mintonbrooks and welcome!

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have… or let us know your comments!

Thanks for the detailed answer, Steve.

I’m also quite interested to see how you approached Full Kitting.

I’ve had great success doing that in projects, and some resistance that “hey, it’s not agile enough!” even though I was doing it as much in a pull or flow setting as I could.

I bought 2019 and read the preface. I feel I’ll have no regrets.

2 Likes

Thanks much for that reply, @tendon! I am just now buying the book, without, alas, getting too far into the Hyper-Productivity book. I am excited by it all, as I have been a big TOC fan and lamented the gaps in its application; that is no longer a concern.

FYI, I am very active in the Kanban community (as a KCP&AKT), and I’m an early member of the XSCALE community, working closely with Peter Merel.

Hi @mintonbrooks and welcome here. As you probably noticed, the forum has categories for Kanban and other approaches to. Feel free to contribute your experience where you feel it is appropriate, and of course to ask questions about TameFlow too.

1 Like

I think Wolfram has tools to support Buffer management from Excel exports. I just can’t remember the site’s name …

Found it …

https://speed4projects.net/home/