Ad-hoc Meetings and remote workers

This is an observation which I would like to humbly propose.

One of the things I’ve experienced when working with remote workers, especially when the setup outnumbers them with local workers, is that ad-hoc meetings might be more disrupting than fruitful for their cohesion of the team.

While I fully appreciate the flexibility one achieves with the lack of regularly scheduled meetings, an approach that can be adopted could be that scheduled meetings are held ONLY if there is an agenda for them. That way, everyone in the team would know that if any meeting will be held regarding a given topic, it will be on that day and on that time.

1 Like

I would take the opposite approach.
Schedule recurring timeslots every day for the meeting.
Then, once the time comes, look at the Work Execution Signals - if there are ageing items or new buffer conditions the meeting is held. If there are no signals, nobody is expected to turn up, and the meeting is automatically cancelled, without even the need to notify the people. If meetings are needed, then the signals should set the agenda. The only exception would be retrospective/planning meetings between one MOVE and the next; but the above could be a light weight protocol for assuring everyone is present when Work Execution Signals are detected.

2 Likes

One thing that I wish we will make clearer in the next round is ‘management by exception’.

Will all the leading indicators provided, you plan the timeslots and you go depending on context given by the leading indicators …

1 Like